Friday 2 October 2009

Brisbane Gigs, Boat People, Mastodon


Hrm, yes. I'm writing this, procrastination from the mountain of work that I have to complete.

This weekend sees a variety of great gigs by both local, interstate, and international bands throughout Brisbane city (and if you're not here, why the bloody hell are you not?).

Tonight you can see the Vivian Girls, supported (I believe) by Everett True at the Step Inn (who assures us he is cooler than us for doing so. Well, thats all well and good, but cop this - one of the Veronicas turned up at my band's gig on a Monday night several years back, so I am way cool too....nghaaah!). Also, psychedelic group Tame Impala hit the HiFi Bar in West End (a gig I really would love to go to!).

Saturday Night sees Oh Mercy play at the Globe, whereas the Butcher Birds and SixFtHick occupy the Zoo.

I'm not even mentioning that NoFX and Bad Religion are at the Riverstage. God damn it!

So many great bands playing, but unfortunately I have a large essay to write for Monday afternoon (the causes of jihadist terrorism - joy).

Anyway, the Boat People have a new song out called "Echo Stick Guitars", which you can preview over at the Home and Hosed page. For some reason, this song sounds really familiar. Perhaps it sounds a bit like the Magnetic Fields? Hrm. Not sure. It is not too bad at all.

Oh, and if you haven't heard the latest Mastodon album, you really should do yourself a favour and give it a whirl. It is radical.

No comments: