Wednesday 22 April 2009

The Ideal Splendour Line-up


As you may know, Splendour in the Grass 2009 line-up was announced today. Again, I’m fairly disappointed. Not that I can go anyway, since I’ll be boarding in New Zealand the dates that it is on. I can only see few bands I’d be interested in watching – Decoder Ring, The Flaming Lips and Friendly Fires (who I saw last year at Glastonbury and were awesome).

My tastes are definitely changing. I cannot say that Splendour is no longer the festival it what it was once upon a time. I think festivals like Merideth and Golden Plains are far superior, I think. Most probably due to the laid back attitude and the relative absence of complete wankers.

I’ve been to a few Splendours and I don’t think any will top the year Brian Wilson played. That was indeed super awesome.
Got me thinking, what would be my ideal festival line-up. Not an original idea for a blog post, but at least it is a fun one. Here’s what I’d have (assume for a second that the band is capable of getting back together is not currently active).

International Acts

GUIDED BY VOICES, THE MAGNETIC FIELDS, BELLE & SEBASTIAN, WILCO, THE FRAMES, DEERHUNTER, AT THE DRIVE IN, PORTISHEAD, CARIBOU, THE SHINS, PIXIES, BECK, NEKO CASE, JENS LEKMAN, SPOON, BORIS, TEENAGE FANCLUB, OF MONTREAL, PHOENIX, NADA SURF

Attempted to mix it up a bit there, unfortunately I don’t particularly like hip hop or dance music – if I was forced to add something from those genres I’d elect to have BEASTIE BOYS, JURASSIC 5, THE PRODIGY, MASSIVE ATTACK, THE RADIO DEPT.

As for Australian acts…. (this is a bit harder nowadays, I feel myself a bit too disconnected with Australian music at the moment, I get the feeling that falling behind what is coming out of the States/UK)

HUNGRY KIDS OF HUNGARY, DECODER RING, SCREAMFEEDER, REGURGIGTATOR, THE EXPLODERS, PHILADEPHIA GRAND JURY (man, these guys are fun), THE DRONES, EDDIE CURRENT SUPPRESSION RING, CLOUD CONTROL, THE ZEBRAS.

I’ll probably think of a whole lot more the fact, but in the meantime feel free to suggest some!

No comments: