Friday 27 March 2009

I'm Really Up the Junction - A Quick Word on Squeeze.


I never thought it would happen,
With me and the girl from Clapham.
Out on a windy common,
That night I ain't forgotten.


I lived in London for seven months last year and thoroughly enjoyed myself there. However, in retrospect, I did seem to follow the pied piper of good times around a bit too much during most of the time I spent there.

Anyway, why am I talking about this? Well, I just wanted to mention a particular song that I really like which always reminds me of London, and I felt like talking about it. The song is 'Up the Junction' by UK New Wavers SQUEEZE who are widely known (at least in Australia) for their seminal song about cats, 'Cool for Cats' (I refuse to believe this song is about anything other than cats).

While the song is about unplanned pregnancies with an emphasis on the relationship pressures such an event endears, but it is the obvious references to Clapham Junction and Clapham Common throughout the song, rather than unplanned pregnancies, that get me reminiscing of my time in London.

It is a popular song and bands like The Decemberists and Travis having covering the tune on a number of occasions. If you haven’t heard it, I suggest you give it a spin.

Here, have a look at the band performing the song on Top of the Pops (strange, why is that bearded man is pouring that white stuff on the presenters head? Looks slightly disturbing).

allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

And even now I feel rather tempted to purchase the vinyl single on eBay, despite not having a record player to play it upon. Dilemma!

Do you have any songs that remind you of particular places, times or events? Do share.

No comments: